[Freemint-list] Generic power-off functionality

Peter Slegg p.slegg at scubadivers.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 23:48:40 MSK 2017

>Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 09:12:47 +1000
>From: Miro Krop??ek <miro.kropacek at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Freemint-list] Generic power-off functionality
>To: Peter Slegg <p.slegg at scubadivers.co.uk>
>Cc: freemint-list at atariforge.org
>
>On 10 January 2017 at 06:35, Peter Slegg <p.slegg at scubadivers.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> How do BSD/Linux do this ?
>

>AFAIK, they use ACPI (BIOS) for that. So in a way, it's closer to Jo's
>approach. ;-)
>
>On the other hand, if you create a funny little device and you want to have
>it supported by Linux, you write a kernel module.

I pondered this and I don't think it would be possible to power down the
Milan. It would still have a latching power switch which couldn't be
software switched.

Soft power down is controlled from the BIOS and motherboard.

It would require additional hardware attached to the MB in some way
unless the pci ethernet can do it.

Peter