[Freemint-list] Interesting github project / ressurection

Ryan Daum ryan.daum at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:07:43 MSK 2017

I agree it's a very good idea. I also think there's also some small merit
to two related ideas I've explored.

  * A native, modern implementation of at least the AES part of GEM,
running natively on Posix systems rendering to framebuffer/OpenGL or to X
or Wayland. Then a translation layer to trap 'classic' 68k Atari AES calls
and turn them into 'modern' forms. It could actually fill a niche for small
embedded-friendly lightweight GUI toolkits for games, etc.
  * Running something like TOSEMU or ParaTOS overtop of a posix layer over
a realtime microkernel rather than Linux, and port it to small hardware, to
have a "TOS-like" operating system. And port it to ColdFire.

I too attempted to revive the oaesis/ovdisis sources, and attempted idea #1
based on that. I have a couple months of heavy refactoring/rewriting (in
c++) derived from that work stashed away in a private git repo. But in the
end I found the starting point in oaesis/ovdisis wasn't complete enough and
I would have been better off starting from scratch. That code never had a
complete working GEM implementation.

Ryan