[Freemint-list] Github access rights

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Tue Jan 24 21:30:07 MSK 2017

On 21/01/2017 02:29, Miro Kropáček wrote:
> just to let you know then I have finished the transition process to
> github.

Now we have to address the question of access rights.
Here I only mention options related to GitHub free hosting.
All the information below is what I have understood for now. I might be
wrong, so let's discuss.

1) By default, all data is readable by the entire word: repository data,
wiki, website, website source. This will not be a problem as we only
work on Free Software.
As far as I understand, everyone is allowed to clone FreeMiNT
repositories to their own account, then make Pull Requests if they want
to contribute to our official sources.

2) Owners of the FreeMiNT organization currently are:
- MiKRO, as investigator of this GitHub project
- Alan, as maintainer of current CVS repositories
- Myself (Vincent), as GitHub settings technical consultant 8-)
Organization Owners have, by design, all permissions on the Organization
itself and on all repositories.

3) Standard Organization Members:
I have just setup the default permission of Organization Members to
"Read". So as far as I understand, the only advantage of being a
standard member would be write access to the FreeMiNT wiki, if we decide
to do so.

4) Organization Members with Write permission on some repository
They can write data to the repository, including push and accept Pull
Requests.

So the question is: what permissions do we grant to which people?

To match our current CVS organization:

1) As maintainer, Alan should have the Write permission to all the
repositories. This is already the case by default, as he is an Owner of
the Organization.

2) Other people should only have Read permission, so they will need to
make Pull Requests if they want to contribute. Then Alan will have to
accept or reject the Pull Request.

That being said:

1) For Alan, it is some amount of work and responsibilities to review
and accept Pull Requests. Maybe the Write rights could be granted to a
few other people, at least for some repositories. This has to be discussed.

2) There is a special case for the freemint.github.io repository. It is
the source of our new official website https://freemint.github.io/
Who should have the permissions to modify it?
Technically, it will just be a matter of giving the Write permission to
some Member for that particular repository.

3) About the FreeMiNT Wiki: https://github.com/freemint/freemint/wiki
Who should have write access?
Technically, this can be either:
- All Members
- Only members with Write access to the FreeMiNT/FreeMiNT repository.

In other words, I would like that we agree to:
- who is going to accept Pull Requests, for each repository
- who should have Write access to the website
- who should have Write access to the wiki
- who should have additional Write access to some repositories

We must find a good balance so anyone with goodwill can easily
contribute, without the risk of trashing everything.

--
Vincent Rivière