[Freemint-list] fVDI driver for Amiga + Vampire V2: SAGA.SYS

Vincent Rivière vincent.riviere at freesbee.fr
Sun Feb 26 04:08:45 MSK 2017

Hello.

I have written an fVDI driver for Amiga + Vampire V2 SAGA HDMI output.
Basically, this means that real Amiga + Vampire V2 accelerator give the same
feeling as ARAnyM, including speed and high resolutions.

See result there:
https://s11.postimg.org/pev2e9kw3/saga.jpg

There is no blitter on SAGA, but the Apollo 68080 is fast enough to provide
a fast and pleasant experience. Currently, only 16-bit video modes are
supported. It works fine up to 1024x768. It even works in 1680x1050 on my
22" monitor, but due to hardware memory bandwidth limitation, the screen
automatically blanks when there are too many memory access in those modes. I
also suspect bad timings somewhere, for sure there is room for improvements
(both FPGA and software) regarding to high resolutions.

As usual on foreign hardware, such setup is only able to run clean software
which doesn't make direct access to Atari hardware. Compatibility should be
more or less the same as Milan.

Binaries and sources (from GitHub) are available there:
http://vincent.riviere.free.fr/soft/m68k-atari-mint/archives/mint/fvdi/

Really, this is another very pleasant platform to run FreeMiNT and Atari
programs.

More than 2300 people expressed their interest in buying Vampire V2 boards.
You should see this as an opportunity to get more FreeMiNT users. And best
of all: spread FreeMiNT stuff among Amiga people :-)

--
Vincent Rivière