[Freemint-list] [0.4] slip.xif?

David Henderson dh219 at aibs.org.uk
Wed May 31 14:52:49 MSD 2017

Hi Miro,

Thanks for the background. Yes, the PPP kernel capability is part of the slip.xif module.

It looks like this might be a bit of a non-starter anyway as Adam (off list) has pointed out the SCC, which I thought was capable of a decent quarter meg via the RS422 port, is also unbuffered (my main issue with the ROM port ethernec), so I wouldn’t get any benefit there at all.

The ParCP project looks interesting, but AFIACT it’s meant for file transfer rather than networking. That said I do see a PLIP driver in the source, so perhaps more investigation would be a good idea there.

This might be something i return to down the line, but it looks like I’d need to actually get down and dirty with the driver source code before I could even think about the hardware, so I might kick this into the long grass for now and try building up a NetUSBee instead as I’ve been very pleasantly surprised with the Ethernec’s performance under 1.19, so perhaps the ROM port isn’t quite the dead duck I feared.

Thanks again,

--
David