Re: MiNT goes UNIX. Annius hopes not. But I do!

>  Well HOPEFULLY it is not purely an attempt to get a LINUX-smell-alike
>  without having to buy a 486?

To me, yes it is (sort of).

I do not have the money to buy an 486 box right now, but I still like
UNIX.

A MiNT based pretty-close-to-UNIX clone, is more likely to be a proper
match for my trusty but humble Atari STE, I think. A port of Linux
to 68k architectures are likely to be an option only for those with
falcons and TTs and accelerator cards, of which I have neither, plus
pretty much in the vapour category for the time being.

I think that this whole discussion started as a realisation of the
fact that we are a group of people feeling the same way about UNIX, so
we might as well start working a little more in the same direction. We
do not want to force anybody else to this specific view, but would
like to ensure UNIX-compability as an option for the interested.

I regard usability higher than feeling atari specific. I do not want
UNIX compability because I think UNIX is some sort of divine
revelation, but there are many programs I know from my time as a UNIX
user, that I would like to use on my atari, and making the atari
UNIX-like is a lot easier than porting all the many programs. I just
want enough functionality to make this process easy, and we are close,
sure enough.

I'll hang my hat whereever my .emacs is, at any time :-)

Christian Lynbech               | Hit the philistines three times over the
office: R0.33 (phone: 3217)	| head with the Elisp reference manual.
email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk	|        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)