If MiNT goes UNIX then Atari goes down the Trash Can (remember that?)

> I do not have the money to buy an 486 box right now, but I still like
> UNIX.
>
> A MiNT based pretty-close-to-UNIX clone, is more likely to be a proper
> match for my trusty but humble Atari STE, I think. A port of Linux
> to 68k architectures are likely to be an option only for those with
> falcons and TTs and accelerator cards, of which I have neither, plus
> pretty much in the vapour category for the time being.

Ah.  I see.  If I were still working on the STE  I'd probably also make plans
to write a GEM-based X server for it and the other way round.  Sure.
You're not going to admit in your next letter that you are satisfied
with a 80x25 column terminal screen, are you?

> I think that this whole discussion started as a realisation of the
> fact that we are a group of people feeling the same way about UNIX, so
> we might as well start working a little more in the same direction. We
> do not want to force anybody else to this specific view, but would
> like to ensure UNIX-compability as an option for the interested.

I suggest you do start a different mailing list, then.  There are people
who prefer to concentrate on helping Atari make MultiTOS (the GEM way,
i.e.)  get to work properly,  by writing proper GEM applications which are
fully MiNT-aware.   I am sure the discussion whether to put a binary
in /etc or in /usr/local/bin is not going to help very much.  Do you
actually think the messy UNIX style of distributing binaries over a file
system is something desirable?  I had rather we focused our minds on
a way to avoid hassles like that.  This is 1994, not 1980.

> I regard usability higher than feeling atari specific. I do not want
> UNIX compability because I think UNIX is some sort of divine
> revelation, but there are many programs I know from my time as a UNIX
> user, that I would like to use on my atari, and making the atari
> UNIX-like is a lot easier than porting all the many programs. I just
> want enough functionality to make this process easy, and we are close,
> sure enough.

I agree.  Hopefully the time will come that UNIX + X11 (who knows, X12?)
is the most popular system, as opposed to MS-DOS.  But meanwhile, let my
Atari remain an Atari.

--
Annius V. Groenink | E-mail: avg@cwi.nl      |  Private & ZFC:
CWI, Kruislaan 413 | Office: M233            |  P.O. Box 799