Re: File structure

>> Hmm.. Generally fine by me, a few comments.
>>
>> >The MiNT distribution kit sets up the following directory structure:
>> >
>> >	/etc			machine-biased files/programs
>> >	/bin			'important' binaries
>>
>> How's about /bin -> /usr/bin
>Well, I was trying to make 'essential' binaries be found faster.
>> >	/usr/info		TeXinfo style documentation
>>
>> This like to be under /usr/local in the standard FSF distributions.
        ^^^^
This should have been "likes" by the way.

>Yup - it's been moved :-)

Goodo.

>> 	/sbin			For system binaries, ie getty and init etc.
>
>yeah - just moved that lot. Also done /usr/sbin for 'non-essential' binaries

What do you mean by 'non-essential' binaries?

>> >	    /src		contains directories of system'y source code
>> >	       /fs		minixFS source code
>> >	       /kernel		MiNT 1.09 source code
>> >	       /lib		patchLevel 42 MiNTlib source code
>>
>> Is this part REALLY necessary?
>
>None of these are essential parts. This is a maximal installation. You can
>choose when you install whether to put a certain subset on or not.

OK, I just thought it a little much to force a source directory structure,
that's all.

>> >	    /tmp		temporary files *not* cleaned at boot-time
>>
>> Should be a link to /var/tmp.
>
>It is now ....
>>
>> >	    /ucb		ucb-type bins (currently just vi)
>>
>> Should be vi, more, finger, cc, compress, vi+siblings, lpr, lpq, etc (once I
>> get them ported), yes, tset etc etc etc. ie. those binaries derived from BSD
>> which didn't appear in the mainstream until very late.
>
>cc? really ?

Yep.. even SYSVr4 has it.. it's the place cc forst appeared.. I think it was
called something else before Berkeley got hold of it.

>The reason it's only vi at the moment, is that that's all I have for ucb...
>
>> >	    /users		root directory for users home dirs
>>
>> Or /home if you like.
>>
>> >	    /var		link to /var
>>
>> Pardon? isn't this a little bit recursive? :-)
>
>Actually, this means /usr/var -> /var. The indentation is supposed to show
>the parentage of the directories

Aha.. why do you need it at all? I've not noticed a /usr/var on any system
I've used, be it BSD, SYSV or whatever.

>> >This isn't perhaps the most coherent way of setting it out (maybe a tree
>> >diagram would be better), but it shows how I set up the fs structure, and
>> >what I put into which directories.
>> >
>> >[note: The only reason vi is in /usr/ucb is that some programs hardcode
>> >/usr/ucb into themselves- otherwise it'd be in /usr/bin and like it!]
>>
>> That's a bit facist isn't it? :-)
>Yeah. <grin>
>When I get more ucb-type bins, I'll probably have a change of heart...

:-)

>> >BTW: I vote for MiNX as the name for the more-unix-alike system (if we
>> >need one. I've found that undeffing anything to do with the ST is the
>easiest
>> >way to get things to compile <grin>)
>>
>> Hmm... sounds like a derisive name to me.. as in "What an awkward little
>> MiNX!" grin.
>
>Is this wrong ? <grin>

Hmm.. maybe not.. but then again you don't want the public to know about it.
:-)

Maybe we should call it MiNT-NT.. maybe not.

>Simon.
>\ Simon Gornall - Kings College London. Email: sjg@phlem.ph.kcl.ac.uk /
>/    - finger sjg@137.73.4.24 for info on the MiNT distrib kit -      \

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).