Re: [MINTOS] fs tree structure (was: Re: MiNT goes UNiX, ... )

>Annius Groenink writes:
>
>> > I'd like to propose not to go into too much detail in defining a "standard"
>> > for the file system layout.  Different distributions will handle things
>> > differently, so I don't see much sense in discussing at this time where
>> > particular binaries of particular flavours of Unix should live, especially
>> > since most programs are independent of their physical location.
>>
>> I totally agree.  MiNT shouldn't be viewed as an attempt to obtain a
>> complete UNIX clone.  I mean look at this discussion, it's ridiculous,
>> really.  There's nothing Atari-specific left.  What about GEM for example.
>> Did we forget about that?
>
>(I think you've missed the point.)
>
>I didn't want to ask everybody to stop discussing how MiNT could be
>turned into something that looks like Unix.  I just proposed not to
>commit ourselves to a fixed Unix tree structure (i.e., where the
>binaries live, etc.) because I think that it should be the task of a
>distribution kit to set things up.  People could then choose a
>distribution that matches their preferences.
>
>Rather, we should concentrate on things that have to be generalized
>in order to reach a state where Unix software con be compiled out of
>the box.

Which means we need a set of standard utilities in standard places so that
config scripts will run. We have to go with one of the major Unix file
layout so as to match at least one of the configurations supportted, ie BSD,
SYSVr3, SYSVr4 etc.

>As far as GEM and Atari specifics are concerned, it would be nice to
>have them fit into a Unix environment nicely.  With the current GEM
>implemtations, this seems to be impossible.  What we're in need
>of is a GEM server (that can be killed and replaced by an X server :-)
>or, even better, a set of GEM widgets on the top of X.

Hmm.. that's a very good idea... How's about a minimal X server which uses
GEM? :-) (With GEM specific extensions of course.)

>Michael
>--
>Internet: hohmuth@freia.inf.tu-dresden.de

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).