Re: [MINTOS] fs tree structure (was: Re: MiNT goes UNiX, .

In <199401171230.AA19483@avignon.daimi.aau.dk>, Christian Lynbech <lynbech@daimi.aau.dk> wrote:

> > I didn't want to ask everybody to stop discussing how MiNT could be
> > turned into something that looks like Unix.  I just proposed not to
> > commit ourselves to a fixed Unix tree structure (i.e., where the
> > binaries live, etc.) because I think that it should be the task of a
> > distribution kit to set things up.  People could then choose a
> > distribution that matches their preferences.
>
> Yes, but is it realistic for us to work on several different setups?

No, for a Unix-box the vendor decides what the basic setup is gonna look
like. We, Atarians, have the advantage of free choice, but it would be a
good thing to agree on a certain basic setup. Anyone who doesn't like it
is free to have it her/his own way.

>> Rather, we should concentrate on things that have to be generalized
>> in order to reach a state where Unix software con be compiled out of
>> the box.
>
> Yes, but equivally important is to ensure that there are in fact
> a collected system. We should feel obligated to keep uploading systems
> conforming to whatever conventions we decide on, so that you can
> always say: "just download <such-and-such>, these binaries conform to
> the <whatever> standard".

I agree that a binary distribution is necessary, since not everyone has
near-to-unlimited resources.

Regards,
           Waldi  (walra%moacs11@nl.net)