RE: GCC 2.5.8

> Has anyone found any problems with GCC 2.5.8?  Does it produce 68K (ie non-
> 030 executables)?  Will it accept long filenames?  <<the version on a.a.u.e
> seems to be for TOS, not MiNT>>  Does it have Objective C support?

	no (major) problems reported in gcc 2.5.8. it does produce
pure 68000 code, it always did! (yes there was a small bug in a very
specialized case in 2.5.7 thats fixed).
	long filenames: yes it does. in the TOS version set UNIXMODE
as appro. in the MiNT version use the minix FS. the TOS version can
run under MiNT and vice versa.
	objective C: i have the supplemental files if you are
interested. if you want you can do it yourself by simply hacking up an
appro Makefile. I have never built he libraries nyself, but several
people have.

> Anyone know when the next version of MultiTOS is due out?
	i would'nt loose sleep over it. which reminds me ...

does anyone else get the distinct impression that MiNT is getting a
real bad reputation as being a dog becase of MultiTOS. i got an
unsolicited copy of the local north attleboro atari users group
newsletter, where the main feature at this months meeting was a geneva
demo. one of the big seeling points of geneva according to the
newletter is that it is not a dog like MultiTOS. in the accompanying
article, the author who reviews geneva offers this explaination as the
main reason -- "Geneva uses ccoperative multitasking. This is the
method used by MAC's system 7 and MSDOS Windows. .... MultiTOS is a
pre-emtive multitasking. It severly controls each application's access
to the CPU ......" [more nonsense deleted].

maybe multiTOS is a dog, i dunno, never used it. but MiNT itself, as we
all know is very acceptable (i use it with a shell usually,
and/or with toswin sometimes).

i leave you with another amusing quote from the same article

"Atari was so impressed with Eric Smith, the author of MultiTos, that
they hired him. Given the performance of Geneva versus MultiTos, they
should sign over the company to Dan Wilga, the author of Geneva".

cheers,
--
bang:   uunet!cadence!bammi			jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@cadence.com