Logbase

Why is the per-application logbase being compiled out of MiNT for MTOS
versions?  I heard it had something to do with changing resolutions on
a Falcon.  Aren't all the apps closed anyway when the res is changed??

I need a way to make VDI calls to a memory buffer, and it seems fitting
that the multitasking system should be able to manage virtual screens.
In fact, if logbase were inheritable, you could write a shell such as
toswin for graphics apps (apps that normally write to the whole screen).
Well, it would work if they just did VDI calls or just accessed the screen
through the logbase pointer.  It could work for some programs anyway, and
it could allow developers to create apps that could work full-screen or
in a window (maybe, I haven't though this through - I just want to be
able to blit into a window from a buffer and write to this buffer via the
VDI).

MiNT makes Logbase per application, so I can do this without screwing up
multitasking (although I wonder about MTOS toolbars, does MTOS use the logbase
of the APP or the AES.SYS for its VDI ??  I assume a user-def object would
use the app's logbase, but what about toolbars?  Hmm ....

Anyway, this feature is compiled out of MTOS since it can cause a problem
if a Falcon changes resolutions.   How does a Falcon change resolutions
with applications still running??  I always thought the apps would have to
be closed since the screen res is gonna change anyway!!  There must be a
solution to this problem.  I just want the VDI to draw into my buffer!!

Any help appreciated, here or by email.