Re: GCC for Atari

Hya all!

Michael Hohmuth wrote:

> I just read in the GNU Bulletin that Richard Stallman is no longer the
> central maintainer of GCC;  this is now done by Richard Kenner of New York
> University who's funded by an informal GCC consortium (which consists of
> Intel, Motorola, TI, and a few other companies).
>
> Perhaps this is the time to integrate the Atari port of GCC into the
> mainstream GCC release?  Or would Atari have to be a member of the GCC
> consortium?

I had a small conversion with Richard Kenner:

    I can't understand why ATARI is not an official supported target,
    because ATARI is really unixlike when running under MiNT.

The reason is that the person who did the port never sent it to the FSF.

[and...]

    Are you sure this is the one and only reason?

Since I'm the person in charge of installing additions to GCC, I can
state that with certainty.  I strongly encourage people to send me
ports to new configurations.  If they've done something that's very
bad in terms of style or code quality, I'll have them fix it before
installing it, but the only two reasons I won't install a port at all
are if the paperwork doesn't given clear title to the FSF or if it's
for the Mac since the FSF supports the LPF boycott of Apple.

--cut--

Perhaps it would be nice first to modify gcc so it works with MiNT in a
UNIX manner and then apply all the dumb-TOS-related patches. The
MiNT-version would be the offical one for the FSF.

I've heard of a MiNT-only-gcc 2.5.8, but I can't remember who's done it.

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels       |      Fax/UUCP: + 49 89 5469593          | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.sta.sub.org | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!