[no subject]

 According to my current understanding of that domain there should be no
need for this, 'cause if you use a different binary layout the program can
be sure to run under MiNT if it *is* running at all. Or what else do you
want to detect?

Hmm .. I don't think anyone ever came up with anything concrete on the
new binary format idea, and no one has ever agreed that the new binary
format would be used.  Also, it was said that programs using the format
would run in the new domain, but no one has said if the opposite would
be true - would all programs in the new domain use the new binary format?

There are still things that the new domain may wish to use.  _shell_p is
one of the ones that I think could be useful.