Handling ^Z, *without* MiNTlibs

[If a truncated version of this letter appears on the list, I apologize;
 Uniterm siezed up on me and I had to reboot.]

I'm currently working with Jerry Geiger, the author of the recent
SozobonX port of the Sozobon compiler, with an eye toward a MiNTlibs
port to SozobonX.  One of the problems with the compiler is that it does
not recognized ^Z; CTRL-ALT-Z is required to suspend the compiler.  Now,
according to some of the old MiNT docs, MiNT should handle ^Z properly
if the process is doing I/O in cooked mode, from which I infer that the
compiler is doing I/O in raw mode.  My goal, then, is to figure out how
to switch I/O to cooked mode, _without_ using any MiNTlibs functions
[for obvious reasons ;) ], so I can pass this on to Jerry.  Any
advice?

[Of course, the compiler also insists on attaching stderr to handle -1,
 but that's a separate issue. :-( ]

						-sbigham