Re: MiNTOS Release 1.4 now available.

>Stephen Usher wrote:
>Argh! After using MiNT's debugging function, I found my problem. I
>while ago, I created a 0 byte file /var/spool/mail/root (for security
>reasons). After opening this file, an exception #10 (Bus Error) occured.
>I removed this file and everything worked fine!

OK, I'll check this out.. we don't want people not being able to log in if
they have mail!

>Now some other qestions: What home-directory do *you* use for root?
>There are several solutions:
>
>/home/root  Works fine, but looks ugly and will cause problems in the
>            future, if we are mounting filesystems manually.
>u:/         The best place, but since we cannot write there, it will
>            cause problems, if a new shell wants to create its
>            .history or whatever. Sure, we can create symbolic links
>            to /home/root or wherever, but this should not be the
>            final solution.
>[c-p]:/     If you link u:/dev and all the other important directories
>            to your "root"-partition, you are able to write in / and
>            you also are able to have real permissions in / and you
>            nevermore have to use "sln" commands in your mint.cnf.
>            With UNIXMODE set to r[C-P], there should be no problems.

Hmm.. I don't think we can solve this properly until you can nominate a
partition to be U:, ie. assign a partition to be MiNT's root partition.
Currently I use /home/<machine-name>/root cos that echos the positions of
home directories on the machines at work. Linux 68k uses /usr/root.

>> I don't think it's getting that far. If only MiNT could dump core so broken
>> programs could be debugged.
>
>A real core dump would be fine, but MiNT's internal debug function can
>help a lot, too. But what I'm missing is the output to a file
>(console.ttp could do this, but with memory protection it crashes all
>the time, and debug level 2 or higher slows the machine down to zero).
>
>Bye,
>Knarf
>--
>    Frank Bartels    |      UUCP/ZModem: + 49 89 5469593       | MiNT is
>knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!

Steve

Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).