MiNT vs GNU configure

I've got my system pretty well set-up now, with MiNTos and (hopefully)
most of the latest utils...  I was going to compile the latest GNU make
(and fileutils, shellutils, textutils, bash, etc), but GNU's configure
scripts still don't work.

Using bash 1.35 for MiNT, it seems to work better (./configure --verbose
prints appropriate messages... using /bin/sh from MiNTos didn't print
any messages about what was being defined), but it still halts when it
gets to "writing config.status".

Looking in configure, config.status is written with a statement that
pulls lines from configure up to a EOF line, which is a fair number of
lines down.  Is bash (and /bin/sh) halting because there's a buffer
that's too small?  The bash that's working on configure is set to 'Wait'
if I check with top, but it never wakes up.

Is there a buffer in the kernel that I can pump up to avoid this, or
should I just give in and do configure's work by hand?

--
 |||  Jaguar 64-bit                    cherborth@semprini.waterloo-rdp.on.ca
/ | \ DO THE MATH                                             Chris Herborth