Re: SLIP slidin' away...

> On my end (aka 'semprini'), I use 'tip 19200' to dial bbs, when 'dip'
> sets me up on that end I quit tip, and start 'slattach' with AFAIK the
> correct parameters.  I set my device to /dev/modem (which is a sym-link
> to my real modem port), my protocol to slip, my IP address to 100.0.0.1
> and the host's address to 100.1.0.1.

I assume the linux machine isn't connected to the internet, otherwise
you had to use some real IP address!

Serveral problems come to mind:
1) The mtu's (maximum transmission unit) of both the remote and the
   local interface must be equal: Have a look at the MTU dip uses
   (the last column in the diphosts file, default is 296) and do
   an `ifconfig sl0 mtu <MTU from diphosts file>' after the `slattach'.

2) Does the remote use cslip (ie SLIP with header compression) or plain
   slip (again this can be found in the diphosts file)? If it uses cslip
   then you must specify `slattach -p cslip'.

3) Is the link 8 bit clean? You can test this with the linecheck program
   from term-224. If not, then you must use PPP (because slip needs a
   8 bit clean line).

4) Line speed, start/stop bits is setup correcly I assume.

5) No other programs are running on the serial port concurrenly (like getty)?

6) Is the slip interface up, ie shows 'ifconfig sl0' something like:
	% ifconfig sl0
	sl0:	flags=0x??<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUINNING>
		link-level-flags=0x??
		addr 100.0.0.1 dstaddr 100.1.0.1 netmask 100.255.255.255
		metric 0 mtu ???
		out-packets  0 out-errors 0 collsions 0
		in-packets   0 in-errors  0
	%

7) Is only one slip interface connected to /dev/modem? Ie:
	% iflink -i sl0
	/dev/modem
	% iflink -i sl1
	not connected to any device
	% iflink -i sl2
	not connected to any device
	% iflink -i sl3
	not connected to any device
	%
   (excactly one interface must be connected to /dev/modem).

8) I recommend using hsmodem (but run it before Mint).

If you have checked all the points you should at least be able to ping
the remote. If not what does `ifconfig -a' excactly show?

Kay.