SLIP slidin' away...

Yesterday I was trying to SLIP to a '486 Linux box and didn't have much
success...

On the Linux end (aka 'bbs'), I was using 'dip' to set up my
connection... diphosts is set up correctly there AFAIK, and everything
on that end appears to work properly.  When I log in as my 'dip'
account, it tells me the IP address of bbs (100.1.0.1), my IP address
(100.0.0.1), and my netmask (255.255.0.0).

On my end (aka 'semprini'), I use 'tip 19200' to dial bbs, when 'dip'
sets me up on that end I quit tip, and start 'slattach' with AFAIK the
correct parameters.  I set my device to /dev/modem (which is a sym-link
to my real modem port), my protocol to slip, my IP address to 100.0.0.1
and the host's address to 100.1.0.1.

Everything looks sorta like it should work (at least the IP addresses
match, and I don't get any errors), but when I do some tests, they don't
work.  I've tried:

telnet bbs
ftp bbs
ping bbs
udpprobe bbs datetime "i"

ping says 100% packet loss, telnet and ftp don't appear to time-out but
they never connect, and udpprobe immediately fails.  Watching my modem
lights, I can see the send-data light is flickering (especially during
ping, naturally), but receive-data never lights.

I'm using MiNT 1.12h1, and net-0.56 (haven't had an opportunity to get
h2 and net-0.60 yet, since I can't access the 'net at large from here).

Any ideas?
--
 |||  Jaguar 64-bit                    cherborth@semprini.waterloo-rdp.on.ca
/ | \ DO THE MATH                                             Chris Herborth
Backwards-compatibility is crippling the computer industry in the 90's.