Advice on MiNT1.12 problems

Greetings chaps,

Nice to be back on the 'net (well, sort of...) now that I've returned
to the UK from the US. You only really appreciate the traffic on the
MiNT list after a period of absence; > 300kb in 6 weeks!

Now that I'm back, I have a couple of questions:

Got myself a 'demon.co.uk' account which I'm using MiNT1.11h2 and
MiNTnet 0.55 to access. Normal 'telnet' works fine, which is how I'm
able to connect to this account stateside. However, 'ftp' reports

	netin: Operation not supported

on just about any data transfer I attempt; even just 'ls -l'. The
current setup worked fine using the pseudo slip package TIA on my
dial-up account in the US. I can only surmise that 'true' slip
requires some aspects of the internet protocol which are not
implemented in MiNTnet 0.55.

Question one: Does MiNTnet 0.70 support those aspects of the protocol
              which seem to be missing?

So, I aquired MiNTnet 0.70 via a transatlantic call to my old dial-up
account. After unzipping the archive, I realise it requires MiNT
version 1.12 or greater. Yet another call stateside and I have the
requisite version. Now I do recall there being a flurry of traffic
on the subject of MiNT1.12 on this list just before I left the
states, but I may have missed some crucial point. I certainly can't
find any useful info. from the ~300kb of messages in my mailbox
since I returned, and I seem to have mislaid the posts from just
before my departure. Hence my 2nd question:

	MiNT1.12 hangs and sometimes bombs on startup. I assume there's
	a simple fix. Any clues?

I'm using a 4Mb ST with 16Mhz accelerated CPU by the way. Now, I
did aquire the diffs to bring vanilla MiNT1.12 up to MH-MiNT-1.12h2
standard, but this has exactly the same symptoms. For your
information, I compiled MiNT without '-DMULTITOS' and run it from
the auto folder as MINTNP.PRG.

My appologies for rambling on here, but my phone bill looks set to
rocket if I can't get ftp access through demon!

Cheers, Steve

PS. Anyone got 'sendmail' and it's 'smtpd' counterpart ported to
    MiNT yet? I've got the BSD44 source and am part-way through a
    port, but do let me know if I'm re-inventing the wheel...