Re: UNIX

Thomas Schulze (ts@uni-paderborn.de) wrote:

> > The shell could look at what stands there after the #! and start the
> > correct program (with UNIXMODE conversion and all...).

We have three possibilities for the hashbang Emulation:

- The shell itself
- The library
- The kernel

At least the tcsh port I use does the hashbang emuation itself, but I
don't like that but it's configurable. And this will only work if the
script is started by the shell.

> My vote: Let the library (ie MiNTLib) handle hash bang execution.

I think this is the best solution for now. So at least `b' and `s'
should be default in future versions of the library. As I remember
`rU' is default anyway.

What about `/' and PCONVERT?

How do you think about a new variable GEMDOSMODE or DOSMODE with
reversed meanings of UNIXMODE? I think that would be easy to
implement. Perhaps it would be a better solution to put these modes
into a file (say, [uc]:\etc\dosmode) which is read if DOSMODE is not
present.

If you don't like the idea of DOSMODE, we could discuss
[uc]:\etc\unixmode then.

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |      UUCP/ZModem: + 49 89 5469593       | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!