Re: (/pipe/log:file not found)

Michael Wray (harmony@tyrell.net) wrote:

> Isn't the /pipe/log file started by syslogd?

Yes it is. Perhaps you are not on drive u:?

> I also
> occasionally get an out of processes message...does this mean I am out of
> memory?

Where do you get such a message? How much RAM do you have?

> P.S.  IF there are executeables that I only want certain groups to execute
> is there a way for me to grant that. (I.E. system administrators...etc..)

This is only possible if the executable has to run suid-anybody on
order to work. For example:

-rws--x---  1 root  ppp  61440 Nov 22 13:27 pppd*

As you see, only members of the group `ppp' are allowed to execute
pppd. pppd has to run suid-root in order to modify the routing table.

There is no way to disallow the execution of `ftp' for example, as it
does not need special privileges to run ftp. And everybody is able to
compile or copy his own ftp-client into his home-directory, so
thinking about special permissions for `ftp' is a waste of time.

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |    UUCP/ZModem/Fax: + 49 89 5469593     | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!