Re: ST without GEM -- 2nd

abro@amath.unizh.ch wrote:

> Thanks for your infos about INIT. Now I tried
> 	INIT=U:\bin\bash
> and principally it works. But I see no cursor square! Thats very silly,
> especially in editors.

If you really want to use this minimal setup (without init and virtual
consoles), you can use echo -e "\033f" and echo -e "\033e" (this is
bash syntax) to switch the cursor off and on. BTW: This is useful for
~/.xinitrc, too.

> And I've a problem with the TERM-Variable. Whats the best setting? And ist
> it neccasary to have some TERMCAP-Directoruies? -- I tries TERM=vt100. It
> didn't work with jove, so I wondered that vt52 works quit fine (but
> *without* reverse chars). In a old mint.cnf-file I saw TERM=st52. What does
> that mean?

The Atari console is a modified version of an original vt52 terminal.
We usually call it st52. Have a look at the init package (mnts141.tgz)
for a working version of the termcap database. vt100 will not work on
the console.  For higher performance and some other nice features
(underlined chars, different cursor shapes) you want to install the
virtual consoles (ttyvdev.tar.gz).

> How can I use 80x50 chars on the screen without GEM? And is there a
> possiblity to use GDOS-Fonts/NVDI?

Sorry, there is actually no way to get more chars on your screen. I
have 160x60, which is quite enough. ;)

versions of the virtual consoles.

Bye,
Knarf
--
    Frank Bartels    |    UUCP/ZModem/Fax: + 49 89 5469593     | MiNT is
knarf@nasim.cube.net | Login: nuucp Index: /pub/ls-lR.nasim.gz | Now TOS!