Re: gcc-2.6.3

> knarf@nasim.cube.net (Frank Bartels) wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it's a good idea to put the system's standard compiler
>> under /usr/local. And as gcc is our default compiler, I vote for the
>> following (4.4BSD style) pathnames:
>>
>> /usr/bin/cc
>> /usr/bin/gcc [symbolic link to /usr/bin/cc]
>> /usr/bin/cpp [a shellscript executing the real cpp]
>> /usr/libexec/cpp
>> /usr/libexec/cc1
>> /usr/libexec/cc1plus

Michael> Hmm, I just took the paths as they were in the gcc
Michael> Makefile. Maybe we should define or take a standard for the
Michael> filesystem. As things in MiNT are most BSD-like we should
Michael> follow that.

I vote that we follow GCC's own conventions which would give a layout
ala (with prefix=/usr/local/gnu, on our SGI systems):

/usr/local/gnu/bin/gcc			(driver)
/usr/local/gnu/mips-sgi-irix5.2/bin	(binutils like `as' and `ar')
/usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix5.2/2.6.3  (compiler bins, libgcc)
/usr/local/gnu/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix5.2/2.6.3/include (fixed includes)

(I think the above are default, relative to the prefix, and correct,
but it has been a while since I did the installation, so bear with me
if this is not completely accurate)

What I definitely do *not* think we should do, is to start using `cc'
instead of `gcc'. That is bound to cause confusion in the minds of
some configuration scripts, not to mention in the heads of Makefile
writers.

>> In the correct path? You call
>>
>> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/m68000-mint/2.6.3/gnu.olb
>>
>> the correct path for the libc? Sorry, but you misunderstood something
>> here. This path is only intended to hold the compiler dependant
>> library (libgcc.a) and nothing else.

Michael> OK, my main intention was to put the library in a path, where
Michael> the linker will find it without asking any enviroment
Michael> variables. The reason is the the handling of the default libs
Michael> for linking since gcc-2.6.x.

But isn't the paths /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib compiled in to the
linker, or at least the compiler driver?

Christian Lynbech               | Hit the philistines three times over the
office: R0.33 (phone: 3217)	| head with the Elisp reference manual.
email: lynbech@daimi.aau.dk	|        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)