Re: SLIPing... and I can't get up!

On Sat, 24 Jun 1995, Chris Herborth wrote:

> I did notice one slight problem though...  any name-server requests would
> fail instantly; nothing was sent to my default gateway.  What do I have to
> do to get nameserver requests working?  Recompile all the binaries with
> the newer socket library?

Check your resolv.conf (and domainname now, I think) and make sure that
the proper information is contained there.  If nothing was sent over the
modem, it means that MiNT-Net doesn't know where to look for NSing.

> I had another problem as well (gee, who isn't having problems?  we should
> really come up with a nice install script or something)...  PPP would't
> work.  Nothing was being sent back to me from the remote host.  ifconfig
> suggested that everything was OK (mtu was 1500, which pppd says is the
> default) and the routes looked OK.  Any ideas?

Hey, I'm not having problems!  <g>  Actually, I've had this problem,
too.  My server uses Morningstar PPP v2.6, and I don't believe this is
supported by MiNT-Net (yet!).  Someone else could correct me if I'm
wrong.  Perhaps your server is using something similar.

> Now I'm going to try duftp...

Good luck!  It was my experience that DUftp had serious problems.  It
couldn't handle the NLST primitive required by ftp.uni-kl.de, and it
couldn't handle the irregularities of other sites I frequent.  I managed
to get it to work for ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de, but halfway through the file
transfer, it crashed MiNT somehow.  Anyway, I look forward to future
releases, because GEM is always nice.

Incidentally, if whoever makes DUftp is here on the mailing list, I have
one suggestion.  Please make DUftp less dialog-driven.  That status
dialog should be in a window with an iconify button.  Or maybe, the
status dialog could be incorporated in the info-bar in the file-transfer
window.

> Chris Herborth, R&D Technical Writer       Arcane  Dragon     chrish@qnx.com
> QNX Software Systems, Ltd.                  -==(UDIC)==-         |||  JAGUAR
> http://quest.jpl.nasa.gov/Info-ZIP/people/cjh/chris.html  DNRC  / | \ 64-bit

Thanks,

Jim Baumgardner (jbaumgar@bronze.coil.com)
"There's nothing more dangerous than a wounded mosquito." - Eric Idle