Re: FreeMiNT, minix partitions and executables

In <199509021538.PAA00080@raleigh>,
Andrew Colvin (apc@raleigh.zynet.co.uk) wrote:

>       and combine the two parts.  However, can somebody tell me
>       what will happen if I fork a Gem application.  Will the
>       child be recognised as a gem application without an
>       explicit appl_init (I doubt it) and when I kill the child
>       process should I just exit or do the usual appl_exit
>       stuff?

If you're running MiNT with "SingleTOS", a forked process must
*never* do any AES calls - all kinds of nasty things can happen
otherwise!

*All* AES processes must share the same MiNT PID - if another
MiNT process does AES calls, the AES process dispatcher might
switch to another AES process (like an ACC or the Screen Manager),
which causes serious problems with respect to memory and file
handle ownership...

Under MTOS it *might* be safe for a subprocess to call the AES, but
I'm not sure wether this has been documented anywhere; calling
appl_init() should be mandatory in any case.

Martin

--
 Martin Koehling // NEW email address: mk@anuurn.ruhr.de