Re: AUTOFIX patch and a question

> Why not use standard command names? The lines above then read

> mount f: /usr
> mount g: /home           etc.

> This should exist as a command in mint.cnf and as a separate program (and
> as system call, of course, on which these commands rely). A floppy mount
> would then be 'mount a: /floppy' and unmount is 'umount /floppy'.

> I would even prefer to get rid of all drive letters even as /a, /b,...
> All drives and partitions should show up as entry in /dev. For this,
> block oriented devices have to be implemented!
> SCSI partitions should be named e.g. /dev/scsi03, where 0 is the device
> number and 3 the partition number, ACSI is /dev/acsi00 etc.
> Mounting a floppy then looks like

> mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
> or
> mount /dev/fd0 a:        or even both.

> But for all those who don't care about those things, MiNT should by
> standard mount the drives on their letters. For the freaks, there could be a
> key word like 'NO_STD_MOUNT' in mint.cnf which turns this off.

That was also my first idea when I saw the map-thing: why not simply
use mount?

But why not going another step further? Can't we simply give a command
in mint.cnf, where to find a /etc-directory and then use /etc/fstab
for a mount table and all other configuration files usually used in
UNIX (group, passwd, hosts, inetd.conf, rpc, wtmp, utmp, ...)? If not
we'll always get the same problems over and over again how we should
realize configuration files within mint.cnf when they are usually
located in /etc.

Thinking about it, this can be done very easy: /etc can be realized by
a symbolic link and, after having executed mint.cnf, mint should
simply check for the existence of /etc. If it exists, use the
configuration files inside, else fall back to the behavior currently
used in MiNT, or some other useful default.

Hartmut

|  Hartmut Keller         |  Internet: keller@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de |
|  Breitwiesenstr. 20-22  | "Home is where the heart lies - but when the  |
|  70565 Stuttgart        |  heart lies, where is home?"     (Marillion)  |