Re: syslogd and redirection of the debug output

On Wed, 18 Oct 1995, Stefan Svensson - HFB NT wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'm running MiNT 1.12.4, MintOS 1.4.1 and vconsole. As I understand these
> things, the system logger daemon (syslogd) is supposed to write lots of
> interesting information into different log files (such as errors and debug
> information). It doesn't. Has this something with /etc/syslogd.conf to do? I've

It does. But you need some programs that logs information. Mostly, these
are *nix program ports that log their progress. But many only do if they
are asked to by some debug option or something.

> experimented a little with different settings, but nothing helps. The only
> thing that is logged is when the system is halted.

So you at least know that your daemon works :)

> Further I allways get very irritated when som program crashes and MiNT reports
> it to the console, screwing up the entire GEM-console. Is it possible to
> redirect those error and debug messages to a virtual console? How?

At the moment, I don't think it's possible. You can only redirect it
to some BIOS device like the printer or serial port, and vcons aren't
BIOS devices. But it would be very good to have some more possibilities
like some type of core dump.

> Finally, is there any possibilities of taking GEM down (after bootgem), log out
> and then start all over again (without rebooting the system)?

I didn't find one, but I didn't search very far... :(
GEM (actually the AES) can't uninstall itself (at least older versions,
how is it about MultiAES?). So you would need a program that unhooks GEM
from its vectors and closes its workstation.

Ciao,
Stephan

Stephan Haslbeck
Student of Computer Science, Technical University of Munich

std mail: Agricolastr. 61, D-80686 Muenchen
email: haslbecs@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
WWW: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~haslbecs
Es gibt keine Probleme, nur Loesungen.