Re: dld / Python?

> Why not go for Java instead of Python ?

I liked the Java spec, but (please correct me if I'm wrong, it's some
time since I last checked Sun's WWW page):

1. Java sources aren't as free. Python is more free than GNU copyleft,
much like the BSD copyright.

2. Java is beta. Python is now at v1.3.

3. Java needs real porting effort. That's probably because of the strict
security needs (and because it's still beta?). Python has configure
options for most unixes and even for DOS and Mac.

4.  Python is more general purpose language (I mean that it supports
features found in both the 'normal' languages and script languages)
and easy to expand with other languages.

The main point being the 3...

> Java will probably win the fight among these
> kind of languages, due to its use on WWW.

Win? Is this a competition? :-))))) Different languages have different
purposes. Python seems a good general purpose language with good OOP
support that 'should' be relatively easy to port.

> Are you interested in porting Java to Atari ST ?

I haven't got the diskspace for it or for compiling Python (that's why
I suggested it on the list. I hope somebody gets interested enough :)
:-(.

	- Eero