Re: W - I like it

> Of _course_ it uses more memory!  But, it's a nicer environment, IMHO.
> Pity I can't run gcc with W going.  Not enough RAM free.  :-(

Well, I have GCC 2.3.3 which I use to compile my W programs on
a ram-fs under W server with -O2. Sources that I have been compiling
lately are quite small (~10k), but the function size is the deciding
factor. GCC 2.3.3 needs about 1400k (gcc+cc1) free for a program with
smallish functions.

> > However, I noticed in the docs that a few references were made to the
> > speed overhead of the sockets.  How much of a slowdown is the socket
> > interface causing?

App:
  data->buffer->(flush)->socket		(buffering gives 2x speedup)
Wserver:
  socket->buffer->function call->screen

GEM:
  function call->screen

> Well, W's already got almost everything I use under X (a terminal, a
> clock, a load indicator; missing a web browser an image viewer, and
> xjewel),

I have been considering something like that... Maybe someday :).

	- Eero