Re: MiDI driver for MiNT-net?

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Kay Roemer wrote:

> Just in case I didn't say that already: IP never forwards a packet to an
> interface from which the packet came from. If gatewaying is enabled it sends
> instead an ICMP REDIRECT to the sender; if gatewaying is disabled it silently
> discards the packet.

What about this:
Each computer in the ring is configured so that the next one in the ring is
its gateway. Then all packets go round the ring. The IP driver simply has
to discard all packets he receives with the source IP address of its own
computer. Doesn't MiNTNet do this anyway? IP Packets should never return to
its source. And if one computer is connected to the Internet, it should
have two gateways with different net masks.

I have my 520 ST and my Falcon connected over MIDI (no ring,
unfortunately :-(.
Since MiNTNet v0.7 or something it runs ok - at least nfs, ftp and rlogin
work. (If the ST wouldn't be that slow...)

Setting this up was very simple: just a simple slattach call with
appropriate paramters (/dev/midi, ppp, and so on) (I was really
astonished that it is so easy when I tried this at first).

Greetings,
Stephan

Stephan Haslbeck
Student of Computer Science, University of Technology Munich

std mail: Agricolastr. 61, D-80686 Muenchen
email: haslbecs@informatik.tu-muenchen.de
WWW: http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~haslbecs/
Es gibt keine Probleme, nur Loesungen.