RE: VFAT.XFS

At 02:55 26/08/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
>
>>Read yourself again;
>>
>>first you say "VFAT32 is for large partitions of over 512 Mb"
>> then you say "you need the driver for larger than 32"
>>
>>Unless I miss something, you're contradicting yourself.
>
>No.
>
>VFAT32 is needed for very large partitions.
>VFAT is needed for long filenames.
>
>However, GEMDOS can't read *normal* DOS partitions > 32 MB. Tos fix this,
>you need either MagiC or BigDOS (and a harddisk driver aware of the fact).

What was this talk of BigDOS not working with MiNT? I have been running
BigDOS with MiNT for some time and have no problems at all in reading and
writing Win95 formatted Syquest cartiridges. I don't think that they're
FAT32 formatted because I think that was only introduced with win95 release
2. Also, any long filenames come out with ~1 to mark that it's a long filename.

I'm not very technical, but I was under the impression that the long
filenames in win95 were just standard DOS filenames, but when win95
encounters a ~1 it goes to a simple lookup table to get the long name. I
have heard rumours that fat32 does more than that, but I can't imagine that
Microsoft have completely rewritten the filesystem structure and lost the
compatibility with DOS that they've kept for 15-odd years...

Mike Lamb