Minix FS has limited number of directories?

I recently tried to create a large number of directories on a Minix
filesystem. These directories were all situated inside another directory,
like this:

root

 +-foo

    +-dir1

    +-dir2

    +-dir3

    +-dir4

I discovered, however, that after having created 125 such directories, it
was impossible to create any more. It was possible to create more ordinary
files, however, there being no apparent limit on the number of files.

I tried the same thing in another situation, and the problem was the same
- there seems to be a limit of 125 directories.

Is this an inherent limitation of the Minix filesystem, is it a bug, or is
it something else? How can I avoid it?

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                 http://www.pl.net/user/mario      |\__/,|   (`\