Re: Standard directory

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

>  >Connexion doesn't care about pppd's configuration-files at all, the only
>  >file it cares about is pppd itself. If you have problems with this it's
>  >pppd that's incorrectly set up.
>
> PPPD works correctly without Connexion, but has to be manually started.
>
>  >Yes, Connexion runs in the MiNT-domain so case-sensitivity is on. That's
>  >also valid for pppd, perhaps this is the source of your problems.
>
> It really sould be case-UN-sensitive, if you want people using PPPkit
> to adopt it. Case sensitivity is impossible without Minix.

Not at all. Set the environment-variable "PPPD_PATH" to the correct value
(E.g. 'PPPD_PATH=U:\BIN\PPPD') and it should find it.  Case INsensitivity
is impossible with MinixFS, so I prefer to use it :-)

> 1) UNLESS I specify "setenv UNIXMODE /brUs" in Mint.cnf, Connexion
>    tells me "/etc/ppp/options  file not found" even though it's there.

Let me repeat this: Connexion DOES NOT CARE about where pppd's
configuration-files are!! IT JUST STARTS PPPD! Nothing more! You'll have
to look in the script that starts pppd and see if what parameters are
called.

Try starting Connexion with the options-file as parameter (E.g. drag
'u:\etc\options' to Connexion) and see if it works then.

Btw. pppd looks in /etc/ppp/ for 'options' and 'options.ttyX', so
something is definelately wrong with PPP-Kit. I suspect it passes all
relevant parameters on the command-line. It works, but not with Connexion
(Or by starting pppd directly from  a shell for that matter.).

> 2) Once I DO specify "setenv UNIXMODE /brUs" in Mint.cnf, Connexion
>    finds /etc/ppp/options but still tries to locate .ppprc which is
>    a file that cannot exist without Minix.

See above, Connexion has nothing to do with these files. I'm sorry, but
all I can do is to suggest that you have a  good look on the pppd-setup
:-(

> Given most of the people that are interrested in connexion are PPPkit
> users, NOT Mintos/Unix lovers, this limitation is a problem.  Please

It's a limitation of  PPP-kit. A better kit would solve this problem. If
you take all the parameters that ppp-kit (The logon-script or whatever)
passes to pppd, put them in a file and pass this file to Connexion
everything should work.

> give a try to the existing PPPkit 1.4 on FTP sites.

I don't have the possibility to do this. My Mega's harddrive is way to
small and I won't risk the almost perfect MiNTOS setup I have on my
Falcon.

> The filestructure of PPPkit is weird (it makes a few compromises to
> compensate for non-Minix behavior) but it DOES work as it is. Still,
> myself and someone else are working on a newer package that includes
> GlueSTiK and a GEM configuration tool for a better PPPkit. Should it
> be possible to fix Connexion to use script files as PPPkit does, the
> newer kit would be complete.

No script-files should be necessary with ppp! pppd insists that
/etc/ppp/options must exist, but this file can be empty. Put all
parameters in a file and pass this file to Connexion and everything should
work. Or just put all parameters in /etc/ppp/options and use Connexion as
normal.

/*
** Jo Even Skarstein   http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~josk/
**
**   beer - maria mckee - atari falcon - babylon 5
*/