Re: Multitasking during disc access (was: Re: MiNT scheduling)

> Well, it does. Try experimenting with different values and you'll se
> what I mean!

I'll do :)

> > > Now if only somehow MiNT could multitask while disc access is occuring. Is
> >
> > That depends. I have IDE disks only, so any disk access is blocking. But I
> > hear that SCSI disk access isn't blocking, MiNT works "smoothly". Of
> > course, its for Falcon, where SCSI is DMA...
>
> SCSI is DMA-based on all TOS-boxes I know of (except the Hades, and
> perhaps Milan), but it doesn't help MiNT much: The various functions
> you hook into the kernel via the XFS/XDD-interface doesn't return
> until they've done their stuff (e.g. read/written some stuff), and
> AFAIK they do it in supervisor-mode. And all (x)bios-functions runs in
> supervisor-mode for sure, so even changing MiNT won't work without
> rewriting the (x)bios...

TT SCSI is handshaked (no DMA).

> We'd better wait for Fenix, or start porting MiNT-stuff to MagiC ;-)

MagiC? No, thanks...

;)

Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail:draco@mi.com.pl
http://www.orient.uw.edu.pl/~conradus

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** aut servit humiliter, aut superbe dominatur (Liv. XXIV, 25)
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.