Re: PPPkit 2.0 (was: Importance of "W" f

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> > than a dumb terminal): Memory-handling. No way you can run your
> > MiNT-based server for months, you'll have to reboot it very often due
> > to fragmentation.
>
> Any solution for this? How it has been solved in other operating systems?

The obvious solution is to page the memory. There are also other ways,
you could use the PMMU and "glue" the fragments together after each
Mfree() or similar but that's really, *really* ugly ;-)

I don't know how the VM-extension in MiNT 1.14 works, but I'm almost
certain that it pages the memory. If possible, this code could be used
to page the FastRAM (or parts of ST-RAM and define it as alternate
RAM) without swapping. This should solve most of our problems.

A big problem though is that the PMMU-code in MiNT only works with
030s. With an increasing amount of 040- and 060-users this should be
fixed. If you (Konrad) could document the PMMU-code in MiNT perhaps
somebody (like Petr Stehlik or Doug Little :-) with a bit of
040-knowledge could adapt it.

/*
**
*/