Re: spammed by ICQ ???

 >> Since a couple of weeks, I am constantly flooded at the SMTPD level.
 >
 >You're flooding yourself, the mails are received from yourself by
 >yourself. This looks like an error in your smail config. When you
 >enable smtp-reception (which you apparantly have),

Actually, I never bothered configuring SMTPD (since I use proper
SMTP/POP clients) so I never enabled/disabled anything.  This is
the straight KGMD package, unpacked as such and unaltered.

Maybe the next MiNT package should omit SMTPD or offer an option
to either NOT install it or, to properly configure its files as
the "KMGD Install" script does its job.

 >What goes wrong now, is that smail receives mail which was meant
 >for you, and tries to deliver it onto the net again.

Actually, what goes on is SMTPD receives the mail and cannot find
the user requested by the email header in the SPAM, so it tries to
reject it but winds into an endless loop because of missing configs.

 >So, either disable your smtpd, or if you want to continue smtp reception,
 >add your "email hostname" (the WHOLE string behind the @ in your email
 >address) to the "hostnames =" line in /etc/smail/config. You probably also
 >have "TT030" there so the line would be:
 >
 >hostnames = TT030:megacom.net

Sorry, there's no "/etc/smail/config" file in here...

***

Thank you very much for your tuturial on SMTPD configuration basics,
but it still doesn't justify ICQ using someone's local SMTP daemon
to deliver SPAM... IMHO, Mirabilis should be flooded with mail from
MiNT/Unix/Linux/BSD users, urging them to stop their SPAM or release
their sources so that people who want it can compile an ICQ CLIent.
The concept seems similar enough to NTALK, so it should be feasable
to make a CLI application that uses ICQ protocol.

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
Atari TT030 12/48 NVDI 4.11r0, MiNT 1.14.5, N.AES 1.1.0, GlueSTiK
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>