Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strikes back)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Julian Reschke-FJR010 wrote:

> kellis@primenet.com%INTERNET wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:
> >
> > >BTW. why can't programmers put in checks in their TSR's when possible?
> > >The only program I've seen recently that does this is MetaDOS, which
> > >says "MetaDOS must run before MiNT!" if it detects MiNT. In many cases
> > >it's so easy to put in these checks (not only for MiNT, but for mosts
> > >features it needs or doesn't work with) and notify the user instead of
> > >just continue.
> >
> > This I don't agree.
> > You never know how new version are gonna react. So, a check won't be
> > accurate just by looking at the name or cookie, well It could be good
> > IF you look into version numbers, that would work.
> >
> > You never know what's gonna come out.
> > Be as wide as possible.
>
> Well, at least for the special case of MetaDOS I have to comment that,
> because it was me who put in the check.
>
> MetaDOS installs a GEMDOS extension. We know that MiNT will un-link all
> changes made to trap #1, so there's absolutely no point in running it
> after MiNT.

Again, another case where my suggestion would make a much more elegant
solution. Of course only where it's possible, but I definitely think that
MetaDOS uses XBRA here ? ;-)

Cheers  Peter

   Peter Rottengatter       perot@pallas.amp.uni-hannover.de
                            http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~perot