SLiRP

Hello,

I've just got SLiRP, v1.0c (the latest I could find) and was trying to
make it work under MiNT. In case you wondered, SLiRP is a program for
making a simlated PPP or SLIP connection, so that you can have several
machines connected to a network (like the internet) when you don't have a
unique IP address for each machine.

First, has anyone already done this? I don't want to waste my time on it
if it's already been done, but I could not find a MiNT binary anywhere.

Well unfortunately it wasn't as simple as configure and make...

There were a number of errors and warnings (which all seemed
insignificant, like passing a long value into a function parameter that
shoudl be size_t) during the compilation, all the errors which I fixed in
a way that seemed appropriate, but the resultant binary doesn't work
properly, unfortunately :-(. It starts up, then crashes badly (have to
reboot the whole machine). (Draco: this happens even if you're just a
normal user - another MiNT security problem to fix? ;-)

Kellis tried it too, and a similar thing happened. That is on a Falcon. (I
use a TT.)

I'm not expert on this stuff, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

One major thing was that type caddr_t is defined as void * in types.h, but
this caused slirp to fail all over the place. Changing it to char * seemed
to fix this problem, but is this a sensible thing to do? Is there a reason
why it's void * and not char *?

There were also some other minor problems. One source file that used
isspace did not include ctype.h, so I simply added it. In another case,
a declaration in a source file did not match that in a header, so I
changed the header to reflect that in the source (I don't understand how
this problem did not show up on other systems, only MiNT!)

Well I guess this is all rather vague. I'm hoping somebody will be willing
to look at this and try to help figure the problem out. Otherwise I'll
just keep at it, no doubt I'll figure it out in time. But it's all very
deep looking stuff, and I'm not very familiar with the internals of
TCP/IP, SLIP and PPP.

Unfortunately, I just realised that I don't have the address for the
original archive! But if you email me I can send it to you, or else if you
look with Metacrawler or an other internet search database you will find
it, by searching for "SLiRP".

I would really appreciate any assistance with this.

--
Mario Becroft                        Auckland, New Zealand
mb@tos.pl.net                    http://www.pl.net/~mario/      |\__/,|   (`\