Re: STiNG, CAB, and Multitasking (strikes back)

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:

> Now, the other question is what the STiNG needs the privilege violation
> exception vector for. As I understood from Peter's mails and referred it
> once here, STiNG uses this vector to switch from user to supervisor mode.

I had almost forgotten this was the initial problem. Well I have a few
opinions on this:

1. Operating systems should IMHO not be adapted to the programs but the
other way around, unless it would open some new amazing possibilities.
(And I see mint as (part of) the OS).

2. Being able to run sting both before or after mint in the autofolder is
IMHO not one of those amazing possibilities.

3. Even if it WOULD be so important, or if the order in the autofolder
isn't the only problem (I may have missed something), I think sting should
use the proper ways to switch to supervisor mode instead of expecting mint
(the OS) to adapt to a hack.

MiNT works pretty nice as it is, and I dread to think what incompatibility
problems may appear which we hadn't thought of so far if we go digging in
it's design like that.

But then again, maybe mint should check for the presence of sting and
install the vectors accordingly each time it's ran. :) (Nooooo I was
kidding!!) :)

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /