Re: MINT 1.15.B2/CAB2.50 problems

The following is from: csilver@Puke.On.Spammers.com (Charles Silver)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st
Subject: Re: MINT 1.15.B2/CAB2.50 problems
Date: 20 May 1998 23:58:36 GMT

On 20 May 1998 22:55:36, Martin "Nightowl" Byttebier wrote:
>Since a few days I'm using MiNT 1.15.b2. I've configurated my setup so
>that the partition where I put the downloads is a NEWFATFS. No cache
>or writeback.
>The cache folder of Cab is also situated at this partition.
>Now I've noticed that when I'm online with Cab something is accessing
>my harddisk (10 sec.) and so blocks the working of Cab.
>The console says this:
>Pid 81 (CAB): fatfs.c: remove open FILEPTR fail in : fatfs_close ((null))
>Pid 81 (CAB): fatfs.c: remove open FILEPTR fail in : fatfs_close (\wwwcache\w\00001e26.htm)
>What is going on here?

Howdy Martin,

I had a similiar experience with MultiTOS/MiNT1.15.b2 on my Falcon.
I dump my wwwcache to a re-bootable RAMDisk (mdisk.acc). It didn't work
using NEWFATFS as CAB just wrote some garbage there while online. I moved
the wwwcache to Drive G. CAB gave errors when trying to write to that drive
also. Other prg's didn't have a problem. But hear's a "caveat". If you enable
drives with the new vfat(32) that have both files created when using
singleTOS and the new MiNT, you can have folders duplicated with the same
name. On drive G,for ex, I had two folders named wwwcache. The wwwcache
folder created while running MultiTOS/MiNT could only be deleted using that
same setup. Also, I couldn't use my defragger, OPTIMIZER, to clean up the
drive. I had to go back and delete all the new files or files that had been
updated on all the drives I had setup with vfat(32) before I could defrag'em.
I didn't lose any data, but it did give me a shot of adrenalin as I had my
boot drive C setup as a vfat(32) also :) I still have a file somewhere in
the C drive with a long file name, but it's not causing any problems.

For future testing, I'll only setup partitions to use the new FAT structure
that are empty and for use with that feature enabled. I still am using
MultiTOS/MiNT1.15.b2, but I have disabled the vfat(32) feature. You could
enable the DEBUG_LEVEL feature to see what's up, but you'd need to understand
what it says. I'm going to wait awhile for the MiNT team to hash it out
some more before I do a complete setup. Then I'll move ALL the CAB stuff
in the drives enabled for vfat(32) and see if that solves the problem.
In the doc's I didn't read anything about any problems that might arise
by enabling drives with vfat(32) that already had folders/files created
while using singleTOS. When I saw I had two wwwcache folders on drive G and
three clipbrd folders on drive C, I knew something was up <g>.
---
CU,

Charles
EoF

End of Original message

From: Martin-Eric Racine FUNKYWARE http://www.megacom.net/~q-funk
 Unsollicited material will be proof-read for $100 USD per word,
 payable within 10 days.  Submission of your advertisement to my
 address constitutes your formal acceptance of these terms.
 <TITLE><BLINK><H1>No HTML Messages Please!</H1></BLINK></TITLE>