Re: pico, termcap, tw52

On Sun, 24 May 1998 00:01:02 +0200, Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

JES>> Yes, I have just tried that and finally seen the problem. After looking
JES>> into tw2 sources it seems that either TosWin II is broken, or pico uses
JES>> some codes in incorrect way. Easiest would be to test pico in Miniwin,
JES>
JES>pico/pine editor behaves exactly the same in Toswin, Toswin 1.4,
JES>TosWin2 and Miniwin.

OK, so it's a bug in pico, or better misunderstanding between pico and
Miniwin (->TosWin).

JES>a) The tw52/100 terminfo/termcap is defect, or...
JES>b) The tw52/100 terminfo/termcap use a special tw-feature for
JES>   inserting that is broken.

none. The problem is here: Miniwin supports "insert mode". It can be
turned on and off (by an ESC seq). Then there's ESC code for "put just
one char in insert mode". Miniwin counts on that every program first
turns on insert mode, then puts the characters to the screen and at last
turns the insert mode off. Pico, most probably, does it in a different
way - first it detects the posibility of insert mode by locating the
"insert mode" ESC code, and then uses just the "put 1 char in ins mode",
which is NOT supported by Miniwin.

The simplest solution is to disable the "insert mode" support, which was
done by the patch to termcap found in my previous mail. Correct solution
is to implement the "put 1 char in ins mode" which pico uses.

Petr
--
E-mail: stehlik@cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz                        PARCP developer
   WWW: http://cas3.zlin.vutbr.cz/~stehlik/              MiNTOS/Linux user