Re: Magic Numbers to identify filetypes

Jo Even Skarstein wrote:

> I don't like this idea very much. This "*I* decide which program *I*
> want to load, and there's not one damn thing you can do about
> it"-attitude is one of the reasons I don't like Windows and MacOS. The
> current solution (manually configure the desktop) requires slightly
> more work in the first place, but it has many advantages over your
> suggestion:
>
> 1. It works with all applications.
> 2. You have full control over all your apps and files.
> 3. No install-program can mess up your perfect setup.

You would still have control over you icons as the main set would be in the
Atari icon resource file.  Basically this would be for accessing/receiving
files from non-Atari systems, mainly Mac, but also PC.  This way, the icon
information would be saved to the Magic.file.  You can override the icon, just
as one can do on the Mac.  You still would have the Install Icon, which would
access your "permanent" set. The system could be set so that you can choose if
it searches for the icons first from the Atari icon resource file or from
MagiC.  The control setter/cpx would show you HFS, VFAT, TOS, MINIX and would
allow you to toggle between M(agic)File, Newdesk, or Both to tell it which to
use.  Then the next item would be to set whether to check MFILE or Newdesk
first.  It would just be an extra feature.  You wouldn't have to utilize it.
It just may be easier for those working with Mac files and those that would
rather have custom Atari icons autoload.  The Install Icon could be enhanced
to show all available icons Desktop and MFile.  It is only an idea :')

Peter