Re: FreeMiNT 1.14.7 locks up

I think what you're seeing is not precisely a lock-up but possibly
there's no shell in u:/bin called sh and/or no rc scripts in u:/etc
along with the lack of gettytab etc.

If there's no shell, then init (which is a part of the environment
called MiNTOS, describing the UNIX-like operating environment) can't do
a great deal.

It's been so long since I even looked at the source that I can't
remember what the default action is if it can't fnid any rc scripts or a
shell, AND can't write into the wtmp file. However, from your
description, it seems that it just sits there idling, which is a bug, it
should exit. Or, maybe it's just retrying endlessly to start a shell so
as to allow you access to the system.

The quickest and easiest way to get a working system is to replace
init.prg with a copy of a shell, such as that supplied in the binary
distribution of MiNTOS, making sure that you put "cd U:\" in MINT.CNF.

Then you can follow the instructions housed in the MiNTOS distribution's
readme files to get a working system.

If you need a new copy of the binary distribution, or want to get the
source, take a look at:

	http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~steve/mintos.html

I hope this is of some use to you.

Steve
Computer Systems Administrator, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oxford
University.
E-Mail: steve@uk.ac.ox.earth (JANET) steve@earth.ox.ac.uk (Internet).
Tel:- Oxford (0865) 282110 (UK) or +44 865 282110 (International).