Re: FreeMiNT 1.14.7 locks up

On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 07:47:40PM -0600, Michael Hill wrote:
>As soon as MiNT initializes, it prints
>the following:
>
>MiNTOS Release 14 (BINARY) #1: Wed Aug 3 20:05:52 1994
>write_wtmp: file not found
>init: reboot: writing wtmp entry: file not found
>
>And then it locks up; reset required.

Brent Thirsk replied:
>As per Mintos docs: You must create wtmp file in this path. Mintos
>looks for it on startup. CD to var/adm,start elvis wtmp, create new file
>and save. you will be set. This file is required with init.
>it records logins and logouts. standard on unix type systems.

Juhani Sivusalo replied:
>or;  "touch /var/adm/wtmp"     and you have what you wanted. And check
>read/write permissions ...   "chmod 644 /var/adm/wtmp" I dont know exactly
>what are righ attributes but "644" works for me.

I guess you didn't get to the following paragraph, where (I thought) I
made it abundantly clear that /var/adm/wtmp *DOES* exist.

>My question is, what's wrong?  I've checked the sources, and can't find
>any trace of write_wtmp in the files in the Source directory.  I have the
>standard mint.cnf (from the binary distribution), with a few sln's and
>setenv's, a single INIT definition, and that's about it.  /var/adm/wtmp,
>u:\var\adm\wtmp, and g:\var\adm\wtmp all refer to the same file, so I
>don't think it should be complaining that the wtmp file doesn't exist.

Any other ideas?

--
			--Michael

Michael Hill   <><  Isaiah 9:6 | "America is great because America is good,
Michael_Hill@csgsystems.com    |  and if America ever ceases to be good,
Aerospace/Software Engineer    |  America will cease to be great."
CSG Systems, Inc.              |                        --Alexis de Tocqueville
http://www.qadas.com/~msh      |
---In a marketplace (like the one of ideas), not everything has equal value!---
Did you ever notice that everybody in favor of abortion has already been born?!