Re: KGMD 2.0

> Why not do it like this (newbie installer):
>
> - User opens the archive into C:\ and gets the instructions, installer,
>   MiNT, XFSs, XDDs, gzip and tar into C:\MINT\.  User reads README.
                                        ^^^^^^^^^
Better not. C:\MINT\ is a MINT system folder, of the same meaning as
C:\MULTITOS\. So another name should be choosen.

> - README tells user how much space is needed and recommends some
>   partition setup, but tells also that although at least one minix
>   partition is highly recommended, installation should also work on a
>   TOS-fs as long as it has enough space (noting that linked files will
>   then take additional space as those will then be copied instead of
>   linking and that many filenames will be truncated/un-cased).
>
> (here user uses some other program to create/minit partitions)

It would be nice if the installer could do it automatically. I remember I
had no clue on minit options when I came to this for the first time.
Assume that the user does *NOT* understand the difference between TOS FS
and Minix, except it allows long filenames and is generally "weird" :-)

> - After user has created the partition(s) or freed enough space, s/he
>   runs the installer which asks whether s/he wants to redirect (mount
>   using mint.cnf 'sln' directive) some root '/' directories to certain
>   drives (or into created/existing directories).
>
> - Installer will then create mint.cnf with above redirections and reboot
>   to MiNT.  I would prefer that this step would install also a
>   simple/free bootmanager (auto/ should be resorted so that it will be
>   first to run) so that user can disable auto/ programs in case of an
>   error (user should of cource be asked whether he already has
>   bootmanager).  Resorting/disabling could also be done automatically
>   for known problematic/unnecessary programs if users wishes so.
>
> - Mint.cnf runs again (with necessary enviroment variables (PATH) for
>   utilities) the installer which notes that it's now running under MiNT
>   and therefore proceeds to step 2 ie.  prompting user for disk /
>   directory where other archives reside.  Installer will extract these
>   relative to u:/ ('/c/mint/tar.ttp -C / -zxvf /path/archive.tgz').
>
> - Then the installer prompts for the rest of information needed
>   (ISP number, account name / pasword etc) and creates necessary
>   /etc/ entries based on that.
>
> - As last step, the installer changes mint.cnf to run either init
>   (/bin/(ba)sh) or AES (MULTITOS, N.AES...)  or if there is bootmanager,
>   it could create separate boot configurations for both.

That means two reboots until you get a working system. Newbie install
should be (IMHO) more automatical, like the actual KGMD install script is.
It just lacks upgrade possibility...

Gtx,

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.