Re: mint eviorment

On Tue, Jun 09, 1998 at 02:37:38AM +0200, Luedtke Alexander wrote:
> hi all !
>
> My problem is that there mint doesn't work fine under N.AES/GEM.
> Means:
> If I try a loggin in a BASH after starting N.AES/GEM, It won't work really
> sometimes I can't loggin ... If I can do ... then there are no seted variable
> (like HOME and so on).

Environment:
You can set envariables in naes.cnf (valid for all GEM applications)
and in mint.cnf (valid system-wide).  I've also added the following
lines in mint.cnf:

exec u:\bin\sh /etc/rc.boot
exec u:\bin\sh /etc/rc

This is ugly but it runs the (KGMD) rc files without running init.prg.

If you want a `real' login (i.e. as normal user) with N.AES you
should try Ulrich Kaiser's GEM-Init package:

ftp://ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de/pub/atari/MiNT/Login/gem-init-????.tgz

It also contains many more hints than that.

The missing home directory:

A shell can be started in two ways: It may be used as a command
interpreter (the default) or as a login shell (this is the mode
that the login program starts the shell with).  Christian Felsch's
new TosWin enables you to start a shell as a login shell.  If
your TosWin doesn't support it, you have to emulate that mode:
Simply start the shell, type `exec login your_user_name' and
you will be prompted for your password and can work like on
the vcons with plain KGMD.

Ciao

Guido
--