Re: Partition splitter?

Hi Martin!

On Fri, Jun 05, 1998 at 03:09:27PM -0400, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:
> Is there any utility that allows splitting a TOS partition in half?
>
> The idea is, you only loose data that is on the partition you split;
> you don't need to repartition the whole hard-disk and reinstall every
> application on every partition.
>
> I know the DOS market has such a utility, but I would need the same
> for my Atari.  Either a GEM/TOS program or a MiNT port of some Unix
> utility is perfectly fine for me.

Some Linux distributions for Intel boxes have a tool called FUPS
or FIPS.  It allows repartitioning.  But I think this is really
very, very hardware dependent.  Porting it to TOS probably means
to rewrite it from the scratch.

Anyway, repartitioning is always a hazard game.  At first glance
it looks like you could only lose data on the partition you want
to split.  In fact you run the risk of messing up your entire
harddisk (because a re-partitioner has to write into the root
sector).

Ciao

Guido
--