Re: [MiNT] Elementary Script Questions

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Jörg Westheide wrote:

> Hi Fabrice!
>
> FG>kill -9 `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid` (mind the bacquotes !)
> ARGH!
> A killer again... :-<
>
> kill -HUP `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`
> works _better_ because it kills pppd too but let's him shut down the
> interface and remove the lockfile so you won't run into trouble when
> restarting it
>
> Please:
> Never use kill -9 if it's not absolutely necessary! NEVER!
> Try kill -HUP, -QUIT and -TERM instead!
>
> kill -9 (= -KILL) should be reserved for case of emergency only!

Yes you're right, I meant 'kill <id>', meaning SIGTERM,
but I got those unix reflexes where I only use kill in case
of emergency, thus the '-9'...

I didn't think about 'HUP', but it might work as you say.

Bye/

> Bye
>
>                 Joerg

----
Fabrice Gamberini.  Software Integration -- ABS - PCD.
tel: + 33 (0) 1 55 66 34 24  , e-mail: gamberin@art.alcatel.fr