Re: [MiNT] Questions about minixfs and mintne

On Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:06:28 +0100 (MET), Martin "Nightowl" Byttebier wrote:

> 1) I wonder why I always get these warnings during boottime:
> 	Checking filesystem on drive l (l is my minixfs partition)
> 	couldn't sync or lock device l
> 	Warning: reboot

That's because the filesystem check (fsck) is actually performed at
the wrong time. It should be done when no other programs are
accessing the partition, but at that moment init.prg is already doing
that. I provisorically fixed it by running fsck from mint.cnf instead
of from the rc-file.

The result of the problem you describe, is that errors like orphaned
inodes won't be fixed, even though the filesystem check says it does.
It's a bit of a blunder in kgmd.

What I'm wondering is whether the "update daemon" will help in this.
In one of the rc-files, there is a commented-out line that starts
this, with the comment "in case someone writes a program that needs
sync()ing" - it looks to me like fsck is such a program. But I
haven't got a clue what exactly the update daemon does, so I hope
someone else can shed some light on this. :)

Anyway as far as I can see, the best solution is to run fsck before
init.prg.

> 2) I also wonder why I can't redial to my ISP without a reboot.
>    I start pppd from the Thing desktop. To disconnect I simply drag
>    proc\pppd.??? to the dustbin.
>
>    For some reason I can't dial for a second time. The modem get
>    initialised but that's all. No dial at all.

Hmm I had this problem for a while as well, and at some point it
disappeared, I never knew why. What I did notice was that it was
enough to turn my modem off and on. Try if that helps for you too,
it'll save you a lot of time. :) And check the /etc/messages (or
whatever log the chat events are in, I don't remember where it was
because I changed my syslog configuration quite a bit) :) to see
where exactly the chat program fails. It might be some garbage in a
buffer that confuses chat.

Good luck. :)

Maurits.

---

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

          Maurits van de Kamp (maurits@bassment.demon.nl)

    _____    B A S S M E N T   P R O D U C T I O N S     _____
  /     /\\     >> http://www.bassment.demon.nl <<     /     /\\
|      \/   |   / Black Currant                  \   |      \/   |
|   /\      |  |             bc@bassment.demon.nl |  |   /\      |
 \ /=/     /   |  Purple Trance                   |   \ /=/     /
  \\/____ /     \            pt@bassment.demon.nl/     \\/____ /